Skip to main content

New Years Anticipation

We all know about the resolution stuff.
Every December 31st we faithfully think about what went wrong this past year, and about what we can do this new year to make it better. We think about ourselves, our situations, our hopes and dreams and from that colorful canvas, we try to pull out some key components and loyally promise to change or fullfill them.

Yeah...

How's that going for you?

Hopefully better then it goes for me. I start out with strong intentions, and by the end of the year, the backwards path is littered with them and I am in the same place where I started. Maybe because they were the wrong ones?  Needless to say, most end of Decembers, I just get depressed about last year's failed resolutions, and never even get to the new year ones.
So this year, I'm going to try something new. Instead of mindlessly pursuing the acceptable norm (and failing it), I'm going to go out on a limb. How about, instead of resolution, I shoot for anticipation.
I mean, seriously, when in life is anything really resolved? And why would we want it to be? We endlessly try to label, define and control our lives. If only I changed my hairstyle, I would get a better job. If only I stopped eating donuts I would lose 30 lb. and get a better social life. If only I was a better person, I would have had a healthy baby. Those thoughts aren't based in reality because if they were, we would all have perfect lives and never experience any hardships. So how would penning a simple list once a year magically erase our troubles? And every year we can just close and seal the file, wipe our hands in relief and get to start over?  Like an old teacher of mine used to say, "close but no cigar." It's good to think about it, but lets try it from another angle.
Here is how I'm going to do it:
 I resolve this year, to face my life with more joyful anticipation of all the things that will happen to me and my family, our friends and neighbors, known and unknown. The good, the bad, and the freakily terrifying; all, I will try to meet with peace, because in everything there is the lesson of love.
  Life is like a shot in the dark, and God is the archer, and our choices and hearts is the wind that steers the arrow. Where are we going? Lets pray in anticipation that this coming new year, our arrows will fly just a little bit higher, a little bit truer than last years, and that guided by our faithful anticipation, we will face whatever comes to pass with peaceful joy and grace.

Happy New Year everyone!
With all our love and prayers! Leo, Justin, Nika (& Cat) and Anna





Comments

  1. Happy New Year to all of you, as well( & the cat) With love & prayers...all IS possible:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY NEW YEAR...
    really cute pic

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

With Mixed Feelings

So for the past couple weeks my feed has been filled with the "back to school" and "end of summer" and "beginning of parental freedom from their annoying offspring" photos. It's ok, I totally get it. Another year, another back to school pic, another notch in the door jamb, and another chapter of growth and development with junior. Look at him go! Or not, as the case may be for many children. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease control and Prevention) one in six children has one...a developmental disability. A stamp of "not normal" across their foreheads. A number. A check mark in a box. My kid is one of them. I heard a brief segment on NPR that enticingly started out with the title of developmental delays on the rise, a 17% increase over the last twelve years. And though I turned up the volume the segment only talked about how it's probably only due to poverty, and it's only the upper classes that actually pursue diagnosis...

The Heart Knows

Today during the physical therapist's visit, Leo was put through his paces. She had a whole list of things, 40 to be exact, of regular newborn motor reflexes and characteristics. Each one gets a check-mark (or not) and then a total score once she tallies up all the information that she observed. Although the final score for Leo really itself doesn't matter, the test was more to establish a baseline of development for Leo, and to find his strengths and weaknesses. Once this baseline is established, it will be easier to tell any progression and growth. Just since her last visit, she observed that Leo was doing a much better job of keeping his head in mid-line position. Before he would always keep it on one side or the other. She also determined during the exam that Leo definitely tracked her with his eyes and responded to sound. More specifically, to my voice. She had him on his tummy facing away from us, and she shook a rattle and made some noise to see if he would move his head...

Shunts Away!

Here is just a quick update for all those waiting and praying for our Leo, before we go collapse in bed for the night. Leo was prepped and ready for surgery early this morning, but they only took him around two in the afternoon. We were there with him for most of the day today, just waiting and biting our nails. The anesthesiologist, a very nice British guy, came up around lunch to talk to us about the risks etc in Leo's case. Apparently because of his tucked up little chin, the regular breathing tube could not be used without lots of maneuvering and fiber optic tools. The anesthesiologist decided to use another breathing aid that isn't normally used for babies; a little tube that only goes down into his larynx, and does not do much more then blow some air down. Most of the breathing support would have to come from Leo himself. Typically under anesthesia babies need help to breathe, so the anesthesia team takes over the breathing. However the side effect of that is the newborns...