Skip to main content

Searching For Balance

Wait for it...

Just wait for it...

Yup, there it is. The inevitable question anytime we go out with Leo. How old is he? Oh wow really? Is he walking yet?? That is a loaded question my friend...Loaded with mystery and yet I love how people pretend it's normal. Because the alternative is much too threatening.

What do you think Einstein? Would I be straining my back and lugging his big bum all over the place if he was? Have you seen my biceps friend?

As parents, we are, and don't pretend otherwise, at the mercy of our kids. We see our selves through a strange and expectation tinted lens. We expect our children to act a certain way, preferably always. We expect them to grow a certain way, and to conform to a natural, and understandable timeline. And we blindly, kinda like a puppy dog, shove this trust on our kids. We faithfully assume, day after day, that our children will bend to our schedules, our hopes and dreams, and then, we faithfully freak out every time they don't. And the best part? It's a surprise every time they act like the independent and unique persons that they are. Which is most of the time, because our children, in their turn, are faithfully trying to teach us something very valuable and essential about life.

Acceptance.
Patience.
Respect.
Emotional Balance.

The first three are reasonable, but what about the last? What does emotion have to do with it? If you are like me, you would be perfectly happy if they scratched emotion off the list, since usually, it's the emotions that end up being the last straw before complete breakdown.

But the thing is, emotions are natural. They are an essential part of us as human beings. They make us individual persons. But they also cause us a lot of grief and trouble. Worry, grief, sadness, happiness, joy, they are all peices of a puzzle that make us up. If we try to throw away, or black out those pieces  the final image will be incomplete or distorted. Everything will be out of balance.

And without balance, you can not live.

Without balance, you can not walk.

Leo does not have the balance to walk. And I, sometimes lack the balance to deal with it gracefully, naturally, and patiently. Though I am trying, and I guess, as long as I continue to at least try, then I'm not doing so bad.

The worst thing is, I know that it is possible for him to walk, unlike many of the kiddos that I know of, and that the only thing holding him back, is his lack of trust in his balance. And the wretched thing is, I can't open that door for him. He needs to figure it out on his own, to find the courage to say yes, I will probably fall. I may get hurt even, but I need to do it anyway.

It is a lesson many of us have trouble learning.

Emotions may hurt, but that's ok. It's ok, because it keeps everything in balance.

Here's a little clip of Leo working on his balance on the exercise ball with his physical therapist.



Yes, it is all hard, and there are days it all seems just too much, but with work and practice, miracles can be achieved.

Leo will walk.







Comments

  1. Anna,
    My words cannot adequately express how very timely this post is. Insert Luke's (in)ability to read and well, there you have it.
    Leo will walk. Luke will read.
    Sent you something in the mail, explaining about our own struggles with Luke.
    Love to all...love you all so much!
    Go Leo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's certainly having fun along the way..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The School Bus As Metaphor

A school bus can mean all sorts of different things: dread, boredom, excitement, responsibility, change...it means something different to all of us. I was primarily homeschooled as a kid, and though I preferred that, there was still an element of desire and curiosity for me every time I saw a school bus when I was young.  I couldn't help but wonder what it would have been like to be part of the school bus world. Of course I didn't have to wonder about it for very long because I did, in many ways, have the ideal education. There was that time I took the winter off from school instead of summer to practice my extra curricular work which was...downhill skiing and snowboarding. Then there was the part-time jobs at the local farms that I was able to do because of my own set and very flexible school hours. To clarify, because it sounds like I didn't do any academics at all in the above two sentences, I did. Lots. Tons. But I did them efficiently and completely independently, e

With Mixed Feelings

So for the past couple weeks my feed has been filled with the "back to school" and "end of summer" and "beginning of parental freedom from their annoying offspring" photos. It's ok, I totally get it. Another year, another back to school pic, another notch in the door jamb, and another chapter of growth and development with junior. Look at him go! Or not, as the case may be for many children. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease control and Prevention) one in six children has one...a developmental disability. A stamp of "not normal" across their foreheads. A number. A check mark in a box. My kid is one of them. I heard a brief segment on NPR that enticingly started out with the title of developmental delays on the rise, a 17% increase over the last twelve years. And though I turned up the volume the segment only talked about how it's probably only due to poverty, and it's only the upper classes that actually pursue diagnosis

The Move

Leo Clement has moved, you guys! The blog is now being hosted by a different platform, and with some awesome new results. Come check it out! All future posts and updates can now be found at the  Little Lion's new digs. Hope to see you there!