Skip to main content

Schooling The Lion



Leo the little lion is hitting week three of his new EEE therapy and he has had time to form some opinions on the matter.  

First of all: Who are these new people, what have they done with the sweet ladies who cuddled and played games with me every week since the day I came home from the hospital?!

Lets see if I got this straight...you want me to start feeding myself from now on? Ha! Nice one.

Leo's new schooling has started with a vengeance. The guy has been getting away with murder, and we've been his partners in crime. The skinny is, the fact that Leo can be disobedient and spoiled has us jumping up and down with glee; "Look honey, Leo just smacked his sister!! Wow just like a normal bratty little brother...awww!!" (Needless to say this attitude does not help big sis with her sibling rivalry.)

Boy pretty much thinks he really is the king of the jungle. 
So...

There is some extreme work here that needs to be done to make him a tolerable and fair ruler instead of a piratical dictator, albeit a really cute one...which is part of why his reign is so successful. 
That and the fact that his scream/whine is appropriately tuned to give me immediate heart burn. 




Second of all, Leo is questioning the new methods: How can screaming, even with joy, not instill instant control and bring me my hearts desire? HOW?
 New therapists are a very professional bunch and know every single trick in the book. Thank God someone does.  



Some new methods include some major sensory therapy with all the elements known to earth, and some drastic daily habit changes. Justin and I have somehow (really it's a mystery) gone down the path of least resistance and done things with speed and convenience in mind. Gotta feed three people? Feed one on the counter while cooking for the other one and the third will just have to fend for himself...Boy screaming and pulling your pants down while trying to wade through the giant mound of dishes? Pick him up and forget the sink, and maybe the whole kitchen area exists. Trying to do work on the computer? Forget it and watch Thomas the Train with boy instead. (Anybody else think those trains are communists?) Trying to do some knitting with big sister? Forget it, and make the biggest knot tangles the world has ever seen with the Lion. Lions love string!! Etc, etc, etc. You get the picture.

Well played lion, well played.

Leo has us all jumping and running to every one of his siren like whims. 
(Not only will I need to be treated for ulcers, I think my hearing is going also.)

So here comes EEE to the rescue with an answer to every question and a list of "things that MUST change, (or else everyone will loose their sanity)."
We aren't loosing hope, and while implementing the new rules (it's for your own good, really..) we are still giggling into our sleeves about the whole thing. I mean, rules!! Who would have thought he would need em?? 

How grand.



Comments

  1. I've been following Leo since his birth. What a joy to see him grow and flourish. And what beautiful hair! Such a handsome guy. My son is Leo's age and we are currently working on his obsession with grabbing from his big sisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new picture.....he looks so sure of him self and so pleased with the world Claire

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The School Bus As Metaphor

A school bus can mean all sorts of different things: dread, boredom, excitement, responsibility, change...it means something different to all of us. I was primarily homeschooled as a kid, and though I preferred that, there was still an element of desire and curiosity for me every time I saw a school bus when I was young.  I couldn't help but wonder what it would have been like to be part of the school bus world. Of course I didn't have to wonder about it for very long because I did, in many ways, have the ideal education. There was that time I took the winter off from school instead of summer to practice my extra curricular work which was...downhill skiing and snowboarding. Then there was the part-time jobs at the local farms that I was able to do because of my own set and very flexible school hours. To clarify, because it sounds like I didn't do any academics at all in the above two sentences, I did. Lots. Tons. But I did them efficiently and completely independently, e

With Mixed Feelings

So for the past couple weeks my feed has been filled with the "back to school" and "end of summer" and "beginning of parental freedom from their annoying offspring" photos. It's ok, I totally get it. Another year, another back to school pic, another notch in the door jamb, and another chapter of growth and development with junior. Look at him go! Or not, as the case may be for many children. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease control and Prevention) one in six children has one...a developmental disability. A stamp of "not normal" across their foreheads. A number. A check mark in a box. My kid is one of them. I heard a brief segment on NPR that enticingly started out with the title of developmental delays on the rise, a 17% increase over the last twelve years. And though I turned up the volume the segment only talked about how it's probably only due to poverty, and it's only the upper classes that actually pursue diagnosis

The Move

Leo Clement has moved, you guys! The blog is now being hosted by a different platform, and with some awesome new results. Come check it out! All future posts and updates can now be found at the  Little Lion's new digs. Hope to see you there!