Skip to main content

For The NICU

So you guys know that September is the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) awareness month right? 
Yeah, I didn't know either. 
Every month there is some disease or disorder that we should worry, promote, and be aware about...so after awhile all that awareness stuff gets tiring...
But this is the first time I've heard of an awareness month for a place, rather than a physical condition. What's up with that? How come we need an awareness month for a section of the hospital? We have an awareness month for breast cancer, not the cancer ward itself...so why the NICU? I'm pretty sure there is a preemie dedicated month, and one for every other condition that may have put the infant in the NICU in the first place, so why the preferential treatment?
After thinking about it for awhile, the only reason I could come up with for the need of this awareness of a place, is that the place itself has inherent issues that people (especially potential NICU parents) should be aware of. Not just parents, but those who may at some point have the opportunity and perhaps privilege, of supporting a parent of a NICU baby. As I have mentioned in a previous post, I have done some research into NICU ethics and protocols over the summer. I have been trying to make sense of my own experience when Leo was born, and in some ways, this project was therapeutic for me. Stepping back from the purely emotional aspect, and reexamining the events from Leo's birth in a completely objective and scholarly way answered many lingering questions that have been rolling around in my brain for years. It took a twenty plus page research paper and a movie to really put it all in perspective for me. 
So, I think understand why there is an awareness month for the NICU and so with that thought in mind, I have decided to share my paper here on Leo's Blog. As most research papers go, my paper is perhaps not what first comes to mind, but I can vouch for the information there as being accurate and true.
Awareness is less of a passive exercise, or a cathartic experience, but it is more like an education with a goal.  And the goal is of course, to help, to support, and to understand, those who may be suffering. There is much suffering all around, and plenty of it can be found in the NICU.
So get comfy with a nice cup of tea, read my story, and perhaps by learning about the NICU, you too can help someone's suffering to be just a little bit better.
Let me know what you think!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The School Bus As Metaphor

A school bus can mean all sorts of different things: dread, boredom, excitement, responsibility, change...it means something different to all of us. I was primarily homeschooled as a kid, and though I preferred that, there was still an element of desire and curiosity for me every time I saw a school bus when I was young.  I couldn't help but wonder what it would have been like to be part of the school bus world. Of course I didn't have to wonder about it for very long because I did, in many ways, have the ideal education. There was that time I took the winter off from school instead of summer to practice my extra curricular work which was...downhill skiing and snowboarding. Then there was the part-time jobs at the local farms that I was able to do because of my own set and very flexible school hours. To clarify, because it sounds like I didn't do any academics at all in the above two sentences, I did. Lots. Tons. But I did them efficiently and completely independently, e

With Mixed Feelings

So for the past couple weeks my feed has been filled with the "back to school" and "end of summer" and "beginning of parental freedom from their annoying offspring" photos. It's ok, I totally get it. Another year, another back to school pic, another notch in the door jamb, and another chapter of growth and development with junior. Look at him go! Or not, as the case may be for many children. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease control and Prevention) one in six children has one...a developmental disability. A stamp of "not normal" across their foreheads. A number. A check mark in a box. My kid is one of them. I heard a brief segment on NPR that enticingly started out with the title of developmental delays on the rise, a 17% increase over the last twelve years. And though I turned up the volume the segment only talked about how it's probably only due to poverty, and it's only the upper classes that actually pursue diagnosis

The Move

Leo Clement has moved, you guys! The blog is now being hosted by a different platform, and with some awesome new results. Come check it out! All future posts and updates can now be found at the  Little Lion's new digs. Hope to see you there!