Skip to main content

Winter Doldrums


Though the ponies find it easy to leap and play right through the deep of winter, the rest of us are dragging our heels.



The kids put their heads together and decided that this past week is a good time to get sick with every single seasonal bug out there. Lovely! Leo, never to be outdone, kicked the whole affaire off with a seizure. 


A few days prior to this excitement (read as terror) my nerves were in a complete jangle as I felt a premonition, which sometimes happens, of an impending seizure. So when Leo slumped over during Speech therapy with his eyes rolling back in his head, my hands were almost steady (blatant lie, but work with me here) when I gave him his emergency spray up the nose. After a heart pounding 24 hours life seemed to get back to normal...


 But then he came down with croup and goodness knows what else, stomach bug, fever, etc etc etc. Same with Sister Bear. We were, no doubt about it, in the "worst of times" part of the poem. The heavy winter doldrums never seem so gloomy as when everyone is ill.



But our little lion always finds his smiles even when visiting the doctor again and again, oh yeah, and again. But it seems that the sun has come out again, as it tends to do, and so have our good spirits and our health.  More or less....


Winter in Vermont can be beautiful, wild, and exhilarating in a "I'm glad to have survived" kind of way. Sledding is of course, a must. In the above picture Leo is signing "more more" in a desperate attempt to get mum off her tired bum and back up the hill for another run..




In other news, Leo had an follow up with plastic surgery who determined that he looks fabulous but may need a brow lift/tuck sometime in the indeterminable future since as he gets older, that extra skin collection right between his eyes might start sagging a bit more. 
Next week he sees his neurologist to discuss his seizure care. This sometimes feels to us like "The bones tells me nothing" kind of moment from the movie Willow. 
Ahh well, it is what it is, and Leo charts his own waters and always will. Hope the rest of you are hanging in there, and staying healthy! Love as always, from Leo man. 



Comments

  1. I check in on you every day.....glad to hear from you even when the news is a bit on the gloomy side......but so very normal with two small children in the winter. Blessings.

    claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is so adorable! Sledding..that's just awesome. Soon spring will be here and I can't wait to hear what fun lies in store for the little lion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of your two kids on the counter... wishing you many blessings...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The School Bus As Metaphor

A school bus can mean all sorts of different things: dread, boredom, excitement, responsibility, change...it means something different to all of us. I was primarily homeschooled as a kid, and though I preferred that, there was still an element of desire and curiosity for me every time I saw a school bus when I was young.  I couldn't help but wonder what it would have been like to be part of the school bus world. Of course I didn't have to wonder about it for very long because I did, in many ways, have the ideal education. There was that time I took the winter off from school instead of summer to practice my extra curricular work which was...downhill skiing and snowboarding. Then there was the part-time jobs at the local farms that I was able to do because of my own set and very flexible school hours. To clarify, because it sounds like I didn't do any academics at all in the above two sentences, I did. Lots. Tons. But I did them efficiently and completely independently, e

With Mixed Feelings

So for the past couple weeks my feed has been filled with the "back to school" and "end of summer" and "beginning of parental freedom from their annoying offspring" photos. It's ok, I totally get it. Another year, another back to school pic, another notch in the door jamb, and another chapter of growth and development with junior. Look at him go! Or not, as the case may be for many children. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease control and Prevention) one in six children has one...a developmental disability. A stamp of "not normal" across their foreheads. A number. A check mark in a box. My kid is one of them. I heard a brief segment on NPR that enticingly started out with the title of developmental delays on the rise, a 17% increase over the last twelve years. And though I turned up the volume the segment only talked about how it's probably only due to poverty, and it's only the upper classes that actually pursue diagnosis

The Move

Leo Clement has moved, you guys! The blog is now being hosted by a different platform, and with some awesome new results. Come check it out! All future posts and updates can now be found at the  Little Lion's new digs. Hope to see you there!