Skip to main content

Heart's Fact

Just to let all of Leo's faithful followers know...

We canceled his surgery that was supposed to happen tomorrow. He is still getting over this past cold and seizure induced hospital stay, as are we, so we decided to play it safe and postpone the surgery until a better day. Once I read about the flare from the sun causing technological difficulties, I felt even better in my decision. I want technology to be in tip-top shape when my son's life will rely on it!  It was just too much for us right now. Also he has a profusion of other appointments this week that would have to be reshuffled, and honestly, I'm not up to that kind of thing right now.

Tomorrow, bright and early, he has an appointment with the neuro-development clinic that I have already postponed several times. I'm glad that this time I will actually get to take Leo there and see what it is all about it. We took him there a long time ago, when he was 4 months old or something, and still branded with that lethal diagnosis of hydranencephaly. I remember how the doctor kept exclaiming about how wiggly and active Leo was. If my memory serves me right, Leo was hungry and cranky at the time and letting me know it. He had also just had his first seizure a day before, of course at the time, I didn't even know it. Anyway, I remember the doctors attitude, how she kept looking for the tell tale characteristics of a unresponsive baby who "would not feel pain," or " be able to recognize his mother." Although I must add here, that though hydranencephaly is described by such sentences in the medical texts, those special and unearthly children have, in their own unique ways, very clear understanding and perception and are most certainly not "vegetables!" I'm so grateful for those groups of parents who I have been lucky enough to know who have such children. For us, it means one thing, for the medical professionals, it means a very different thing, and I clearly remember that doctor trying to place Leo under those labels. On the one hand, a label makes things easier. This something can be defined, researched, studied, and judged. On the other hand, once labeled, it is almost impossible to break those perceptions. And at the time of the crisis, in the midst of the swirling chaos of emotion, it maybe very confusing for parents to know what is right or wrong. Who, or what to believe in regards to their child. We were told one thing about Leo, but in our hearts, we felt something very different. And I remember that feeling very clearly during that appointment, and basically the first half year of Leo's life. That I was fighting against the data, that the feelings that I had in my heart were in competition for common sense. All the facts pointed to Leo living a very short, and medically dependent life, oblivious to everything around him. So part of me had to accept those facts, but the other part of me, the part that told me he was a miracle of life; my mom sense, told me those facts were false. It's a baffling and uneasy place to be.
So why would I be looking forward to this appointment? Well, it's simple really. I am so proud of my Leo that I want to shout it from the rooftops. To share his picture with the whole world, to show that hard scientific fact can't explain the miracle of love. To finally have that battle between the two opposing sides in myself officially declared over. To prove that life is mysterious and unfathomable, and that, when in doubt, always, always, listen to your heart.

On Thursday he meets his new speech and oral skills therapist, who will, hopefully, help little man not be quite so little! Although I'm reserving judgment because our first baby was/is always on the bottom of the chart, but not suffering for it in any way!

As to, again, a new date for the surgery... three is the lucky charm right? The secretary who I talked with very briefly the other day, said that next available date for surgery would be in March. Oh well. It's always better not to be "too hasty" right? Not with something like this. It needs to be done, but not rushed.

Here is Leo with his faithful dog guardian. Although that is probably a story for another post.






Comments

  1. God bless you all...the prayers keep coming. I treasure the idea of the astonishment of the doctors as they get another look at your live miracle. Claire

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The School Bus As Metaphor

A school bus can mean all sorts of different things: dread, boredom, excitement, responsibility, change...it means something different to all of us. I was primarily homeschooled as a kid, and though I preferred that, there was still an element of desire and curiosity for me every time I saw a school bus when I was young.  I couldn't help but wonder what it would have been like to be part of the school bus world. Of course I didn't have to wonder about it for very long because I did, in many ways, have the ideal education. There was that time I took the winter off from school instead of summer to practice my extra curricular work which was...downhill skiing and snowboarding. Then there was the part-time jobs at the local farms that I was able to do because of my own set and very flexible school hours. To clarify, because it sounds like I didn't do any academics at all in the above two sentences, I did. Lots. Tons. But I did them efficiently and completely independently, e

With Mixed Feelings

So for the past couple weeks my feed has been filled with the "back to school" and "end of summer" and "beginning of parental freedom from their annoying offspring" photos. It's ok, I totally get it. Another year, another back to school pic, another notch in the door jamb, and another chapter of growth and development with junior. Look at him go! Or not, as the case may be for many children. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease control and Prevention) one in six children has one...a developmental disability. A stamp of "not normal" across their foreheads. A number. A check mark in a box. My kid is one of them. I heard a brief segment on NPR that enticingly started out with the title of developmental delays on the rise, a 17% increase over the last twelve years. And though I turned up the volume the segment only talked about how it's probably only due to poverty, and it's only the upper classes that actually pursue diagnosis

The Move

Leo Clement has moved, you guys! The blog is now being hosted by a different platform, and with some awesome new results. Come check it out! All future posts and updates can now be found at the  Little Lion's new digs. Hope to see you there!