Skip to main content

The Breaking

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.



Remember. 

 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.


Today our hearts our broken. Our minds are heavy with the tragedy of the horrible violence that took place in what should be, a safe haven. 
For all of us, it's painful.
For those of us who are parents, the pain is partnered with fear. 
Fear for our children. Fear for our way of life. Fear of the ultimate loss.
The loss of a child.

We feel broken. We think of the grieving families tonight. We can imagine scenes of dark rooms, of the floods of tears, and our hearts break. We think of our own children, and we are shattered, smashed, in pieces, scattered to the depths of our souls. 

We doubt the sanity of humankind.
In a world where children die, how can there be hope? How can there be love? 
For those families, tonight, they are breaking.

But. Yet. Somehow.
They are not alone. 
Their children? No longer have one set of grieving parents. They have the whole world. All of us, must carry them to eternal life. All of us, must grieve, must break, because as we break, we are made anew.
Do not be afraid of grief. 
Tonight we lament together, tonight we break together, so that none of those precious children, not one, will be lost from us forever, but will be found, and with them, us also. 

In the breaking, do we find hope.


Arise, cry out in the night, as the watches of the night begin; pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord. Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children. Lamentations 2:19






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The School Bus As Metaphor

A school bus can mean all sorts of different things: dread, boredom, excitement, responsibility, change...it means something different to all of us. I was primarily homeschooled as a kid, and though I preferred that, there was still an element of desire and curiosity for me every time I saw a school bus when I was young.  I couldn't help but wonder what it would have been like to be part of the school bus world. Of course I didn't have to wonder about it for very long because I did, in many ways, have the ideal education. There was that time I took the winter off from school instead of summer to practice my extra curricular work which was...downhill skiing and snowboarding. Then there was the part-time jobs at the local farms that I was able to do because of my own set and very flexible school hours. To clarify, because it sounds like I didn't do any academics at all in the above two sentences, I did. Lots. Tons. But I did them efficiently and completely independently, e

With Mixed Feelings

So for the past couple weeks my feed has been filled with the "back to school" and "end of summer" and "beginning of parental freedom from their annoying offspring" photos. It's ok, I totally get it. Another year, another back to school pic, another notch in the door jamb, and another chapter of growth and development with junior. Look at him go! Or not, as the case may be for many children. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease control and Prevention) one in six children has one...a developmental disability. A stamp of "not normal" across their foreheads. A number. A check mark in a box. My kid is one of them. I heard a brief segment on NPR that enticingly started out with the title of developmental delays on the rise, a 17% increase over the last twelve years. And though I turned up the volume the segment only talked about how it's probably only due to poverty, and it's only the upper classes that actually pursue diagnosis

The Move

Leo Clement has moved, you guys! The blog is now being hosted by a different platform, and with some awesome new results. Come check it out! All future posts and updates can now be found at the  Little Lion's new digs. Hope to see you there!