Skip to main content

Putting The Lion Back Into The Wild

I'm actually home tonight while the 'boys" are at the PICU for what could be, maybe, possibly, our last night. It's almost hard to believe that we could go home. It's like those animals who have been in captivity who are finally let out almost don't know what to do, and often cower in fear and confusion in their cages. We would be cowering, but that sounds like it takes too much energy. We are completely exhausted after ten days of this shunt malfunction marathon. 

Yesterday afternoon Leo had the hopefully final surgery to fix his shunt. The Neurosurgeon replaced all the tubing and tunneled a whole new channel for it as far away from his lungs as possible. During which he discovered that the connection between the tubing and the shunt valve was leaking and welling up CSF as he was examining it. Also his old tubing was inserted pretty high under his breastbone which often can jeopardize the integrity of the surrounding tissues; in other words, the plural space of the lungs. The theory is, since Leo man makes up on the highest to max amount of CSF possible the extra bit leaking out and around his shunt was the stuff that over a period of time, say a month, was collecting in his lungs. Remember those migraine episodes, and throwing up and passing out events? Well my theory is (and since I've been right all along here, its basically fact) that those events were the beginning of his malfunction and those were pressure caused symptoms. Anyway more on this later when I am more coherent with sleep, but to make a long story short, we think we know what happened, why and when. It just took ten days and a nervous breakdown or two, and some doctor slapping around to get there...

Since the new shunt Leo has been eating non-stop. And all he wants is pizza. Boy is made out of gauze, stitches, CSF, and pizza at this point. No room for puppy dog tails and that stuff.

He also is almost back to baseline with his communication and interaction, but is still weak and sore like an almost drowned kitten. Although tonight he sat up by himself for a good twenty minutes or so, while flirting with family and friends.
So there is a lot of damage control that needs to be evaluated in our family life, his therapies and development, our mental sanity etc, but I'm hopeful that once we get home, things will really start to improve. I would write more but I'm nodding off as I type so here are a few pics to tidy you over until I am able to write that we are finally home. Home. Home. Home. Can't hardly wait. This captive family is ready to get out and run back to freedom.

Ten days of acquired PICU overnights clutter packed up..

Happy New Year to everyone! Love from Leo, and us too. Here are his first giggles that have been absent for weeks!

Grandparents entertaining the tethered Lion.


  1. So glad to hear he's better!! We've been praying!

  2. Glory to God!!! Going into 2014 with a roar! :)

  3. May you go from strength to strength in 2014, little Lion!

  4. So happy for all of you! He's so precious. Happy New year to all. <3

  5. Such wonderful news. Happy New Years

  6. God bless Leo and all of you! Wishing you health, joy, peace and rest in 2014!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pharmaceutical Fallout

I'm sure you guys are wondering what's been up with the Lion this past week after our worrisome VEEG adventure.  To tell you the truth, I feel like I've been taking shots of Leo's drugs and consequently feel dull and numb and just plain depressed. That is now of course, two days ago I was running high on adrenalin and resembled a charging rhino. I'll tell you why: So after being put on his new drug, Trileptal, Leo definitely started having a cessation of seizure activity, unfortunately however, he also started having severe headaches, photophobia, inconsolable crying and then in the last couple of days, a rash on his thighs, face, and hands. Just as an FYI the word "rash" is a magic word that will open the doors of the medical castle faster and slicker than a trojan horse. It's true, one does not mess about with allergic reactions. He was seen by his neuro within the hour, and after some bullying and grilling from yours truly, the action plan was det…

Not Your Average Special

Leo. This kid. Honestly? Life with the lion can be quantified in two parts: into a simple 60/40 equation. The 40 being the happy normal parent feelings, and the 60 being sheer exhaustion, confusion, worry, and what-the-hell-is-it-now feelings.  All normal right? Just another day in parent land. Wrong. I have always been an advocate for down-playing the special neediness of special needs. Yeah, yeah we all think we are special in our own unique hardships, get over it. We all have crap in our lives to deal with. But I might be starting to change my outlook.  Just a bit. Case in point: Leo and consequently me and everyone else who lives with him, have now been dealing with daily seizures for well over a year. Ok it doesn't sound that bad, when you string the words together and type it out into a sentence; there are way more scary sentences out there like "your child has a terminal brain defect" sentence etc etc. That sounds way more scary than daily seizures. This I know f…

The Rhythm of Life

When I think of the word rhythm, what comes foremost to my mind is a picture of my grandpa's metronome. My grandpa, when he lived in Russia, was a fairly well known voice professor who dedicated his whole life to the perfection and instruction of the human voice. As long as the human in question was applying said voice to opera and only opera, that is. Opera, in my grandpa's mind, was the only music worth bothering with. All other music he condescendingly referred to as "the bebop" with a lot of Russian eye rolling and sighing. He taught me about rhythm by sticking his old wooden metronome on the edge of his piano, and commanded me to never take my eyes off it during the whole voice lesson. Since it was conveniently eye level to my ten year old self it was pretty easy to get completely mesmerized watching the little weighted metal stick swish side to side, side to side, side to side.  I'm thinking now, almost twenty years later, that it may have been part of gra…